James Wan continues his hot streak as horror sequel The Conjuring 2 dominates the box office for the weekend
James Wan continues his horror reign as The Conjuring 2 dominates the Box Office for the weekend Friday June 10, 2016 – Sunday June 12, 2016. The horror sequel opened up at #1 with $40.4 million for the US box office. compared to the $41.9 million of the original. While it’s down $2 million over the The Conjuring back in 2013, that is an extremely low drop from movie to movie for a horror sequel. Combining the $40.4 million with its overseas grosses nets the movie $90.4 million in it’s first weekend.
Wan has a long history of successful horror movies with Saw (2004, $103.9 million worldwide), Insidious ($97 million ww) and Insidious: Chapter 2 ($162 million ww). This isn’t counting his non horror films such as 2015’s Furious 7 which grossed $1.5 billion worldwide. The Conjuring 3 is now a given with the success of The Conjuring 2, but with James Wan’s next film being the big budget Aquaman, it is not yet known if he will have the time.
Warcraft’s $24.4 million opening is definitely a disappointment as the $160 million budgeted movie was supposed to launch a movie franchise. The film is doing well overseas, where it has earned $300 million combined with the U.S.
Top 10 Movies At The Box Office: June 10 – June 12, 2016
- The Conjuring 2 – $40.4 million
- Warcraft – $24.4 million
- Now You See Me 2 – $23 million
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – $14.8 million
- X-Men: Apocalypse – $10 million
- Me Before You – $9.2 million
- The Angry Birds Movie – $6.7 million
- Alice Through The Looking Glass – $5.5 million
- Captain America: Civil War – $4.3 million
- The Jungle Book – $2.7 million